Tuesday 13 December 2011

In order to LEAD a team, you must be humble enough to know you NEED the team!

One trait that runs through every member of J427 youth group is "Leadership" we all have an innate desire to bring dreams alive and lead teams to success.
This blog has been bubbling down in my spirit for quite some time, and rose to the surface of my being when I sat in Vue cinema Stratford to witness the revolutionary screening of One Way the film. 
I was taken aback by the undeniable example of leadership exhibited by @TundayMusic , it was then that I decided I would blog about 'Leadership'. Obviously being the terrible procrastinator that I am, I made a cup of tea and tweeted instead. Four nights later at my work Christmas dinner in Canary Wharf I was starstruck by the entrance of Ashley Banjo (lead dancer of dance troupe Diversity). After I re-gained my composure I began to reflect on how much I truly admire his leadership too.
This is when the topic finally detonated in my mind and I began to study the characteristics and traits of a leader.

What youth need is an awesome leader, someone who can make a decision, someone who believes in their goals and visions and can bring out the best in everyone in the team. A leader doesn't look back and and their unshakable confidence is what allows the rest of the team to trust and follow.
@TundayMusic did not lead Write-Way music to Vue Cinema in Stratford by umm-ing and ahh-ing, he did not do it by changing his mind or doubt that it was possible. When Presha J showed an immediate distaste in the idea, Tunday did not back down, his unyielding belief lead Presha J to trust and and get behind him. Tunday did not lead the team by adopting the fallacy that he is the "boss" he understands that God is the boss, he understands that without Presha J, Rhema or Leke Write-Way music is No-Way Music!  He knows how to bring out the best in every one in the team, he knows that they all bring something different and needed to the table and i believe its his ability to stick to his guns and not look back that made that dream a reality!

Ashley Banjo is one of my inspirations because I can see his passion for his dance goes beyond a 'recreational activity'. He is gifted to dance and works tirelessy to choreograph and train the group. He also knows how to bring out the best in each dancer and he understands that without them, Diversity is just Ashley. They trust him and follow him, he comes up with ideas and they jump on the bandwagon and this is because his confidence in his goals does not weaken.
There are so many amazing leaders that our generation have to thank for inspiration; if i've learnt anything it's this... in order to lead a team I need to be humble enough to know that I NEED the team!

No comments:

Post a Comment